Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Man's Best Friend

         Authors Note:
A.)  I think this essay rose to the top because it was a quique experience to me and a dream to me and it is more likely that there is less people to write about this topic then the other essay topics that i had chosen.
B.)  One thing that I thought that my essay did well and effectively was explain how much i really wanted a dog all my life, and how when I got the chance to get one i really pushed to get what i wanted.
C.) One thing that I feel is a weekness in this paper that might need some work is my vocabulary, and details.
D.)  One question i would have is, is my essay too straight to the point? or is it really easily seen how much my dog means to me?


         Corey Ford once said, “Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.” Every day when I get home from school I am greeted with a wagging tail and a friendly bark because someone can’t wait to see me. 
The earliest memory I have was me wanting a dog. I would count down the days till my aunt would come over and bring her little puppy with her too. Never once did I think was there a chance for my family to have our own dog. My mother would always say, “They shed all over the place, they lick and slobber, and worst of all, you have to pick up all the waste they produce.” She would think it was like having another kid again with potty training and the works. Listening to her say this every time my aunt would come visit with her dog, I still would ask my mom again if we could get one. The answer would always be the same and that really pounded the word “no” into my head.
            This went on for nearly 15 years of my life until Christmas 2010, when I got a stuffed animal puppy under the tree. I took the hint and went with it as far as I could. I had always wanted a dog, one to play with when I was grounded or to cuddle with at night, or even just the joy of seeing their tail wagging so hard back and forth the minute you walk through the door.
            This dream came true a few months after Christmas when we got our first puppy.  I was overly excited about everything. Even though I was not the one to pick him out; I still was the one who wanted him the most. Soon after I came to conclude that he really wasn’t the type of dog that I wanted, he was more of a lap dog. Although I still love this puppy I had dreamed of one that would go swimming, hiking, play fetch, and sleep with me at night. The perfect candidate in my eyes was a Labrador Retriever. I pushed and pushed once again until I had gotten what I was dreaming for all my life.
            I have only had her for about 3 months now but she is definitely my best friend. Never did I think that I could become friends with a dog of all things, something that doesn’t talk, eats out of a dish and gets water from a bowl. My dog can always change my mood and make me feel like a whole different person the moment I see her. The best part of having her is that she is always so extremely excited to see me. I always heard the quote, “a dog is a man’s best friend” but never did I really believe in it until I now see what it is truly like to own your own and have them be your best friend.
           

2 comments:

  1. I see a story of two dogs. I see some nice details about the benefits and significance of having an animal in your life.
    I recommend you revise this essay and focus only on your second dog. You spend half the essay writing about a dog you really don't seem to like very much. Narrow your focus to the second animal.
    It's better to start and end your essay with original ideas, not quotes from someone else. Try crafting a present-action description of your second dog that shows its significance to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see the author illustrating the many emotions she felt waiting and finally receiving the dog of her dreams, even being somewhat disappointed with her original puppy.
    I would possibly add in more detail about the mother and how she changed with both the of the dogs. She seems to get left behind after the second paragraph.
    I would add more imagery about the second dog.
    Overall, I thought the essay's strength was its central idea, though it still leaves the reader wondering, "How have you realized that a dog is your best friend?"

    ReplyDelete