Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Man's Best Friend


Corey Ford once said, “Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.” Every day when I get home from school I am greeted with a wagging tail and a friendly bark because someone can’t wait to see me. 
The earliest memory I have was me wanting a dog. I would count down the days till my aunt would come over and bring her little puppy with her too. Never once did I think was there a chance for my family to have our own dog. My mother would always say, “They shed all over the place, they lick and slobber, and worst of all, you have to pick up all the waste they produce.” She would think it was like having another kid again with potty training and the works. Listening to her say this every time my aunt would come visit with her dog, I still would ask my mom again if we could get one. The answer would always be the same and that really pounded the word “no” into my head.
            This went on for nearly 15 years of my life until Christmas 2010, when I got a stuffed animal puppy under the tree. I took the hint and went with it as far as I could. I had always wanted a dog, one to play with when I was grounded or to cuddle with at night, or even just the joy of seeing their tail wagging so hard back and forth the minute you walk through the door. That dream of wanting a dog came true a couple of months after Christmas but the real thing came true when my family got a second puppy and she was to be called my own.
            Someone would consider her the most popular family dog, a Labrador
Retriever.  I wanted a unique dog of my own but she fit perfectly in the kind of dog I had wanted, for swimming, hiking, playing fetch, and being able to sleep with you at night. Coming home seeing her tail wag back and forth and her deep brown eyes looking at me with excitement makes my day, and can put me in a happy mood no matter what I am feeling like.  
            I have only had my black lab Dakota, for about 3 months now but she is definitely my best friend. Never did I think that I could become friends with a dog of all things, something that doesn’t talk, eats out of a dish and gets water from a bowl. My dog can always change my mood and make me feel like a whole different person the moment I see her. The best part of having her is that she is always so extremely excited to see me. I think that it’s so unique the bond that humans have with animals, dogs especially. They are always happy to see you and can always make someone happy. Dakota is my best friend  and I couldn’t ask for a better one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment