Thursday, September 8, 2011

Exploring The World

The hot humid air that surrounded Amir was one memory that Amir would never forget. The feeling of being back to where he grew up, Afghanistan, but not alone, he was with his new adopted son Sohrab. They’re on their way to the field where Amir went almost every day with his friend when he was little to go and fly a kite. Today was the first time that they went and it was going to be the first attempt on Amir’s part to try and teach Sohrab to be a kite runner. Amir wanted to show Sohrab what he did as a kid with Sohrab’s father, Amir’s best friend and unknown brother. He teaches Sohrab that to be a kite runner two people are needed, one who flies the kite and the other who holds the reel to let out more or less string, and the object is to cut down the other kites in the sky until you are the last one up there and you win. It was of Amir’s idea to take him there to try and connect with his new son and a way for Sohrab to bond with him.
After arriving and finding nobody there at all, it would be easier to try to teach him so that he wouldn’t worry about getting cut down while Sohrab is trying to learn to fly. Shortly, Amir looks around and in the distance he spots a younger middle aged woman and what seems to be her daughter in the distance heading towards the park. At this point Sohrab is flying the kite yet sees the woman and the young girl with her. This could possibly be his first opportunity to try and battle to test his skills and see what he can do to improve. The woman and young girl walk up to Sohrab and Amir, and in the young girl’s hand, was a kite.
 “Hi, I’m Taylor Green, and this is my daughter Turtle, we couldn’t help to notice that you guys were flying a kite and were wondering if you could teach us?” said Taylor.
 “Hello Taylor, I’m Amir and this is my son Sohrab, this is only his first day flying, but if you really would like to know, we would love teach you.” said Amir.
Amir continues to teach Sohrab the art of kite flying and proceeds to ask Taylor and Turtle what they‘re doing in Afghanistan.
  “So Ms. Green, what are you doing here in Afghanistan?” asked Amir
Taylor replied, “Well, when I was about five years out of school I decided to buy a car and travel across the country, and when I stopped in Oklahoma, this lady gave me her daughter because she didn’t want her. Now this is her, and we decided we wanted to not only travel the country, but the world too.”
“Well that’s kind of coincidental because Sohrab isn’t my real son either, he is my nephew. His father is Hassan, and Hassan was my best friend when I was little. He also was a servant at my house with whom I thought was his father, but sooner or later I discovered that Hassan was actually my brother,” said Amir.
“That was very honorable of you to take in your nephew. When I saw Turtle I felt so touched by her sweetness, I felt obligated to take her in,” replied Taylor.
Amir replied, “It’s so reassuring to know that there are more caring people like you and the world, who will take in children even though they didn’t create them.”

3 comments:

  1. I - My personal reaction to this story is that it was very interesting and i enjoyed reading it. Having read both The Kite Runner and The Bean Trees, i already know into details about each of the characters mentioned. The images that pop into my head are the kites and the two characters having an in-depth conversation with one another. I thought that this essay was very creative and well put.

    II. The aspect of the setting that i felt was best described was Afghanistan in an open field of some sort where Amir and Taylor were kite flying. "They’re on their way to the field where Amir went almost every day with his friend when he was little to go and fly a kite." This line enabled me to distinguish where in Afghanistan they were, and what they were doing.

    III - The conversation between the two characters was at time authentic and at some points i thought it was not. I thought it was a little strange how Amir decided to pick Taylor out of all the people in the field and when they came up to one another it seemed like they knew each other for a while by the way they talked. The characters themselves seemed natural and it was entertaining to read the dialogue between the two even though at times it seemed unrealistic.

    IV - One thing about the essay that i would improve is to include more about the book The Bean Trees because i feel like it was basically all on The Kite Runner. Another thing is the characters to to describe them more so it is easier to tell their personalities and such. Other than that, i thought everything was good and it was enjoyable to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I. I really liked reading your story. It was very friend,y and made me feel calm. I could picture Amir flying the kite when it was described in the essay. I could also picture the conversation between Taylor and Amir. The dialogue seemed very realistic and it kept me interested. 

    II. The setting was described very well in your essay. It starts off with the setting, saying, "The hot humid air that surrounded Amir was one memory that Amir would never forget." the rich description really allowed me to view the setting in my head. 

    III.The conversation, as I said before, seems very authentic. I read both of these books, and I could see the characters talking and saying what they said in the essay. It wasn't exaggerated or overdone.

    IV. Nothing in your essay seemed distracting at all, but I so think it could have been a bit longer. Try to put lots of detail and references to the story. Overall the story was very good. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. I - I enjoyed reading this story. I feel that because I have read both of these books I have a better understanding of what is going on and where the scene is taking place. I felt that it was a great idea to extend the setting from The Kite Runner to a farther point then it was in the actual book. I felt that it was very creative that you took a past scene from the book and incorporated into the new meeting place of the two characters. I feel that the detail you added and how you explained where the scene was taking place gave me a better insight as to what the conversation would be about.
    II - The setting was described extremely well in the first few sentences and really gave me a visual of exactly where they scene was taking place. I also liked how you used a scene that was used earlier on in one of the books so in a way really connected the scene to the book. "The hot humid air......in the Afghanistan heat..." this line just gives so much detail to the kind of day and where they were on that day. I believe the detail you used was great and really help me as a read visual the whole scene.
    III - I believe that the conversation that the two characters had between one another was completely authentic. I think that the conversation and what they talked about could happen to any individual who was in the same situation they were. They each talked about things that people who had just met would talk about to get to know one another and to also learn new things from the other. I believe that this conversation was an adequate conversation and could in real life happen.
    IV - The one thing that could be improved in you story is detail. I think that it would be better if you equaled out the detail between the two books instead of just favoring The Kite Runner. Other than that I believe it was a well crafted story that truly portrayed the different characters from each story in a combined way that made complete sense.

    ReplyDelete